Geronimo Rulli transfer explained

Last updated : 14 July 2016 By Omar Laska

The transfer of Geronimo Rulli has caused some confusion amongst the City fanbase, with the 24 year old Argentine set to complete a move to City, then back to Sociedad.

City are said to have a stake in a South American investment group, granting them first option to sign the player, which the club have now used. This is where it gets complicated, Rulli will be loaned back to Sociedad immediately who will have to pay £5,800,000 next summer. City however, have a buy back clause of £11,600,000 which is expected to be activated in 2018. 

Although, if City were to decide to not activate his buy back fee, then he will have a release clause in his contract set at around £33,000,000 in the event that a team were to pay that amount for Rulli they would also be entitled to 30% of the transfer fee with Sociedad earning the remaining 70%. 

It seems that if Manchester City will sign any goalkeepers this summer then it will be Rulli. It's incredibly complicated, but then again. City never did do things the easy way.

Credit: PA