City cruise past Porto

Manchester City produced a strong finish to power into the last 16 of the Europa League with a 4-0 victory (6-1 on aggregate) over 10-man holders Porto.

Sergio Aguero set up victory by extending City's 2-1 first-leg lead after just 18 seconds at the rainswept Etihad Stadium before hitting the bar later in the first half.

Edin Dzeko came off the bench to add a second after 76 minutes before the sending off of Rolando preceded further goals from David Silva and David Pizarro in the closing minutes.

The 5pm kick-off may have been problematic for some fans but the players raced out of the blocks to make the perfect start. Aguero, who struck six minutes from time last week, started where he left off as he was played through by Yaya Toure and slipped the ball low past Helton with barely 18 seconds on the clock.

City looked comfortable for their lead and could have had a second when Silva beat the defence with a brilliant ball for Toure. Helton rushed out of goal to meet the Ivory Coast midfielder on the edge of the box and spread his body to block his shot.

Porto enjoyed some spells possession but struggled to create meaningful chances until first-leg goalscorer Silvestre Varela found space to test Joe Hart. Joao Moutinho curled a free-kick over as Porto continued to look for a way back into the tie.

The game remained open as the second half got under way with Aguero dribbling into the Porto box to tee up Silva but Maicon slid in to deny the Spaniard.

City again pressed for another with Silva winning a corner from Helton with a powerful drive, before play was held up after Nicolas Otamendi was accidentally kicked in the face by team-mate Maicon.

The hosts put the result beyond any doubt as substitute Dzeko was slipped in by a fine ball from Aguero and finished with confidence. It quickly became a double blow for Porto as Rolando, who had been booked early in the game, was shown a second yellow card as City celebrated - perhaps for protesting too much for offside - and left the field.

City then went on to wrap up the game in style as Silva added a third after 84 minutes after substitutes Pizarro and Dzeko combined to provide a tap-in. Another followed two minutes later as Pizarro again linked up with Dzeko and broke into the box to slam past Helton for his first goal for the club.

Source: PA

Source: PA